Monday, October 4, 2010

31 for 21, Day 4

I love the pictures that I posted yesterday. They are so Tyler. My friend Shelly took them and she truly captured his personality. Tyler LOVES to make people smile and laugh and he has several facial expressions that he uses to get a response. The first and second pictures are so "Classic Tyler" -- one eyebrow raised, a bit of a goofy grin. I love it!

When I made the appointment for these pictures, Brent and I really debated about whether or not we should get Ty's hair cut beforehand. His hair was pretty wild, as you can see. It was uneven and super messy. In the end, we opted not to cut it first. Why? This is the most hair Tyler had had in two years.

For those of you that don't know, Tyler was diagnosed with Acute Lymphoblastic Leukemia, or ALL, on March 2, 2008. He started losing his hair pretty quickly after treatment began. His hair began falling out in giant clumps. I finally ended up shaving his head in the hospital. It was one of the most heartbreaking things I have ever had to do. When his hair started falling out, it was the first physical sign that he had cancer. It finally started to sink in that he was sick. His hair loss was much more difficult than I imagined it would be.

Thankfully Tyler is now cancer free. He is also finished with treatment. His hair has finally started growing in properly and he has had several hair cuts since these photos were taken.

When I look at these photos I am so happy that we decided not to cut his hair first. His hair is a sign of how far he has come. These pictures will always be a reminder that Tyler triumphed over cancer.

2 comments:

Amy said...

I love the pictures of Tyler too. Always makes me smile to see his smiling face. Glad he is such a fighter. I have blessed memories of visiting with you while he was in the hospital. love you my friend.

Emily Gardner said...

Tyler is such a cute little boy. I love his expressions! It really makes me wish we lived closer.