Saturday, October 2, 2010

31 for 21, Day 2

I think one of the greatest myths regarding people with Down syndrome is that they are always happy. I can be completely honest here when I tell you that that is not true. Tyler is not always happy. He is just like any other six year old. Granted, he is happy much of the time. But he also gets frustrated, angry, sad, scared, disappointed, overwhelmed and every other emotion you can think of.

The fact is, people with Down syndrome are more like everyone else than they are different. They love, they hate, they have fears, they have joys, they laugh, they cry. More than anything, they want to be included and treated fairly. As Tyler's mom, I want that for him more than anything else.

On my sidebar I have the Down Syndrome Creed posted. I think of this often. I know that Tyler will do all the things that other kids do. I know he is capable. I know that he will succeed. I also know that he will do it at his own pace. It may take him longer and that's okay. I am excited to enjoy the journey right along with him!

No comments: