Friday, November 7, 2008

Tyler Friday Update

It has been a long week! I came home tonight to stay for the weekend and Brent is staying at the hospital with Tyler. The past 24 hours have been pretty busy.

After Ty got the fever yesterday, they started him on some antibiotics. He never did throw up again, thank goodness. The blood cultures came back and he does test positive for some bacteria, meaning he does have an infection. They're still trying to narrow down exactly what it is but they switched to a different antibiotic in addition to one that he was already on. About 11:00 last night he got really shaky, irritable and pale. His heart rate was very high and he spiked a fever again. He was shivering so hard. His nurse came in and then quickly went out to call the doctor who called another doctor. Soon we had the docs in checking him out. They thought he may have had a reaction to the new antibiotic. They pumped him full of fluids really quickly and gave him some Tylenol. He seemed to settle down and then he was exhausted. Poor little man. I was so worried about him that I couldn't sleep. I finally fell asleep only to hear his heart monitor going off again around 7:00 this morning. He had the same reaction again and his nurse called in the doctor again. They pumped him full of fluids again and that plus the Tylenol helped. 

Today during the day they went ahead and gave him a blood transfusion. His counts were a little low and they were hoping that would help. 

This evening right around 7:00 Ty had another shivering, fever, heart rate episode. It happened after they did the antibiotic again. We're not sure if they are going to eliminate this antibiotic but that seems to make the most sense to me. We'll see what they decide. Brent said it didn't last long but I think we knew the warning signs and caught it early and gave him the Tylenol right away. Poor little guy!

They said that he will probably be there several more days until they can figure out exactly what type of infection he has. Plus he has to be infection free in his blood cultures for 48 hours before they will release him. He will have to come home on IV antibiotics but that's nothing new. 

They also decided that he was not getting enough nutrition and finally started him on G-tube feeds tonight. Brent and I have been asking about this for the past few weeks so we were really glad they finally made a plan and got those started. Of course, he has had such horrible diarrhea that they were trying to give his tummy a break too. 

So, that's where we are tonight. I hope he and Daddy can get some rest. I will update again tomorrow.

Thank you all for your love and prayers. If you haven't signed Tyler's guest book in awhile, please do. We love hearing from you!!

No comments: