Monday, June 9, 2008

Cancer Sucks!

Having a blog has brought me into contact with some amazing people. I have "met" many families touched by Down syndrome, Leukemia, adoption and just life in general. One of these people is Renee.


Renee has four beautiful children. The third, Kennedy, is an adorable little girl who happens to share many similarities with Tyler. She has Down syndrome and is also battling Leukemia. She is amazing, as is her family!


I was looking through Renee's blog the other day and found this post. I sobbed. I sobbed because I am sad for Matthew and his family. I sobbed because I am sad for all of the children who are living the cancer nightmare. I also sobbed because I have heard these same words from more than one person, that Leukemia is the "good cancer."


Each time Tyler has to have another dose of chemo therapy, endure another poke of a needle, another surgical procedure, another hour of lost sleep due to nausea, another stare from a stranger because he has no hair, I am reminded that there is no such thing as a "good cancer." There is no such thing as an easy cancer. There is no such thing as having the better cancer.


Yes, cancer is survivable. Leukemia is survivable. For that, we are eternally thankful. But make no mistake, cancer is not easy. To be quite frank, cancer sucks!

3 comments:

wsweden said...

Jodie
I am so sorry your family is enduring so much right now. It is a very difficult journey, especially when you have little ones at home. A cancer diagnosis is never easy and life will never be the same. You will look at things differently and small gestures will mean so much. Speaking from the other side of our cancer journey, we live our lives differently, so grateful for good health and the little things in life.
((HUGS))

Sig said...

Cancer dies suck, I am battling Lymphoma, which is also a "good" cancer. Chemo and all that goes with it really bites.
BUT, my step father is dying of brain/lung/prostate cancer. And it really makes me see that even though my life is hard right now, I am alive and will beat this thing.
Hugs to you and Ty, thank God Ty WILL make it.
It will make us stronger!!!!!
Hang in there!!!!

Mommy to those Special Ks said...

Thanks so much for the kind words... and I agree... cancer SUCKS!