Monday, November 2, 2009

Bring it on.....

So much news. First with friend Nikki emailed me and said she thought we should look into something called Behcet's Disease. Brent and I couldn't believe the similarities. We are praying this is the answer. We found a doctor at NYU in New York City that is a top specialist in Behcet's Disease. We contacted him and his answer was quick and unexpected. He asked us to come to New York City and meet with him. We are thrilled! He cleared some time for Brent in his extremely busy schedule and we had planned to go to NY tomorrow to meet with him on Wednesday. (More about that in a minute.) We are praying that this is the answer and that Dr. Yazici will be able to help. The more we learn about Behcet's, the stronger we feel that this is the right path. We are truly thankful that Dr. Yazici is willing to see Brent on such short notice. I spoke with his patient coordinator and she said that he sees patients from all over the world. We feel so blessed that we live close enough to the city that we can travel there easily.

My mom arrived last Monday to help with the kids and stay with them while we're gone. We are so glad that she is able to be here. We have never left the kids while we've gone out of town so this is a big step for all of us. We pray that things will go well while we're gone.

As I said, we had planned to leave tomorrow. But of course, life can never be plain or dull or boring for us. Over the weekend, we had a little bit of drama.

On Thursday night I noticed that Nate had a sore on his upper left thigh. I just knew that it was a MRSA sore. Sure enough, by Friday morning, he was running a fever and the sore was huge, hard and hot to the touch. I called and made an appointment for him for that afternoon. By the time we got there, his fever was 102 and he was hurting so bad that he was shaking. The pediatrician sent us directly to the ER. They gave him some mild sedation and incised and drained the sore and sent us home with antibiotics. We were hoping that would do the trick. Sadly, it did not. By Saturday night his entire scrotum was swollen and red and full of infection. Back to the ER we went. They admitted him and on Sunday morning they took him down to surgery to incise and drain again. They wanted to do it in the OR so they could give him more sedation and make sure that they got it all.

That poor little boy! He has been in so much pain and I feel so badly for him. He spiked a fever of 104 last night and gave us all a scare. But, he has been fever free since then and they sent us home this afternoon. We are so glad!!

Needless to say, we have postponed our trip. Brent and I called this afternoon and they were able to reschedule his appointment for Friday the 13th. We are going to leave on Wednesday and spend a couple of days in NYC. Hopefully Brent will feel up to the trip.

So that's our crazy life. Not sure what I would do if things ever slow down around here. Maybe I could sleep. :)

Thanks to everyone, as always, for your love and prayers.


Esther Liu said...

Thinking of you guys and praying for you.
I wish we were still in ROC and I could help in some way.
Sending our love and big slobbery kiss from Caitlin.

Kelly said...

I would love to hear if he does have Bechet's disease - MY husband also has Bechet's disease - it is so rare I was shocked to read this on your blog -
I discovered your blog when your husband comment on my blog - my preemie son was just diagnosed with Down Syndrome. Looks like our families might have even more in common! Please let me know what the specialist say - I would LOVE to go see that doctor in NY with my hubby if you liked him!